Friday, June 16, 2017

Duncan Pepper


It was a most dreadful and totally unexpected shock to hear from Duncan Pepper on 1 March 2017 to inform the Society that:

‘I've had confirmed that I have pancreatic cancer with secondaries in the liver. This gives me a rather restricted future as the cancer is notoriously quick.
To spare my daughter un-necessary  work I am working my way through my financial affairs clearing up wherever possible.
You can never get a medic to give a forecast of survival so I have set up my own:
(1) Pessimistically ... April.
(2) Realistically, mid-May when we have a regular family holiday booked on the Helford River in Cornwall.
(3) Optimistically midsummers day-a romantic day!’

As a retired doctor he was well aware of what was in store. Duncan wrote to the Hon. Sec not to gain sympathy but for purely practical reasons to sort out his membership renewal for 2017-18 should he survive that long.

He died peacefully on 10 June 2017 and almost achieved his optimistic forecast. 

His funeral will take place at the Bristol Memorial Woodlands on 27 June starting at 11.30am

Our thoughts are with his family. He will be greatly missed by the Society - always helpful and a kind cheerful man.


No comments: